Tuesday, September 18

My life has meaning again!

A former co-worker made a comment to me at the start of the 2001 NHL season, "ah yes, hockey is back and your life has meaning again." So very true. I don't know what I would do without the Oilers.
Probably swear and yell a lot less, not be stressed out come March and April, not be so wound up and restless on days that I am going to games, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Last season I managed to go to 14 Oilers games, but most of them were forgettable, so we will do just that, forget about them.

This past weekend was the start of Oilers training camp and the Joey Moss Cup. I went down to Rexall on Saturday afternoon for the 2nd half of the Oilers open practice and was not impressed with Schremp at all. If he has any hope of making the team this season, he better start picking it up. Like yesterday. Sure he's coming off knee surgery, but he just looked off, he wasn't really making any plays or doing anything of interest. I wouldn't have even noticed him if I wasn't watching for him on the ice. Same goes for his performance in the Joey Moss Cup on Sunday.

Dustin Penner and Sam Gagner were most impressive on Sunday. Playing on an line with Hemsky certainly helped though. Gagner and Hemsky worked well off of each other and Penner was right in the mix, starting to nicelt fit in. I would love to see Gagner make the team straight out of junior after he annihilated the Russians in the Junior Super Series, but he does need to psychically mature more to be able to handle an entire NHL season. Compared to Penner (who is a big, big guy) Gagner looks like a child. A future NHL star no doubt, but this season might not be the start for him. If he does make the team, awesome, if not, then for sure he will have a helluva chance next season.


I'm starting to like Penner, and liking him on Hemsky's line. I wasn't sold on the idea of Lowe bringing in Penner the way he did (and for the money he did), but if training camp is any indication (which sometimes it isn't) he just do just fine with the Oilers this season.
Didn't get a chance to listen to tonight's pre-season game as I was at work and the radio seems to have gone missing over the summer. I shall remedy that right quick, before the regular season starts. From the report on the Oilers website, the Hemsky-Penner-Gagner line played decent with Gagner scoring a goal.

Not so keen on Penner wearing number 27 (Laraque) or Gagner wearing number 89 (Comrie) but that's the numbers they were given or chose. It's kinda creepy how Penner is Laraque's size and Gagner is Comrie's size. Here's hoping neither number is cursed. Wouldn't want Penner to have Laraque's goal scoring inability or Gagner to develop Comrie's attitude. Ewww.

The line that set the tempo for the game and stole the show was Moreau-Reasoner-Brodziak. This Brodziak kid just might make the team. He has been pretty impressive in training camp so far, and doesn't look out of position at any point in the game at all. Two goals, one assist and 1st star tonight for him is a damn good start. That is what I was hoping to see out of Schremp, but he's going to be a star or a bust, and so far he's heading down the road to bust. Brodziak on the other hand would be a nice fit on the 2nd or 3rd line. The addition of Anson Carter to training camp on a try-out just might give Brodziak that extra push to really show his stuff. Maybe Schremp should be taking cues from Kyle.

I'm going to the Oilers-Leafs pre-season game, pretty certain that the players that didn't play tonight against the Panthers will be playing against the Leafs. I'm hoping to finally see Souray in Oilers silks, after he tweaked his back during the fitness testing on Thursday he hasn't skated yet in training camp. Not a good start to the season to hurt your back before training camp even begins, but it doesn't seem like a serious problem, more of a case of being cautious so it doesn't become a serious problem. Lord knows we don't need any of those this season. Especially not after losing Pisani indefinitely already.

I love autumn and the start of a new hockey season. Not too keen on the new jerseys, but they aren't completely hideous, so I'll probably end up buying one later in the season.
GOILERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our lives, and I am fairly certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4 SDHC[/url] DS SurfV3)